Before we proceed on to discuss the ways in which businesses can implement multifactor authentication in the mobile app let’s draw our attention to what MFA is and why is it a must to implement.
Multi-factor Authentication is the need of every business and the most reliable way to ensure users personally identifiable information. By providing an extra level of security besides the phone password, Multifactor Authentication System (MFA) has become the must-have feature of the mobile app and being the renowned mobile app development company in India, we take care of it.
In this blog, we will go over why we should implement multifactor authentication and the different ways to implement it.
Why should businesses lay emphasis on implementing Multifactor Authentication?
There have been instances when businesses had to experience several cases of stolen and hacked passwords. Applications with just simple information or a combination of user ID and password getting hacked have been on the rise. In this situation, implementing multifactor authentication will prevent hackers from gaining access to your accounts even if your password is stolen.
What are the ways of Implement Multifactor Authentication?
1. Short Message Service (SMS)
Using SMS as Multi-factor authentication also involves the enrollment and login stages. This verification has been experienced by many users.
The enrollment process is as follows:
• The user logs into the application with a required username and password.
• The user is asked to enter a valid phone number.
• A unique one-time code is generated which is sent to the user’s phone number.
• The user enters the code into the app and multifactor is enabled.
The login process is as follows:
• The user logs into an application with the username and password.
• A unique one-time code is generated on the server and then sent to the registered user’s phone number.
• The user enters the code into the app and if it’s valid, the user is authenticated and a session is initiated.
2. Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP)
TOTP comprises the creation of a one-time password from the shared secret key and the present timestamp with the help of an exact type of cryptographic function. OTP involves the enrollment and login processes just like SMS.
3. Electronic Mail (Email)
Just like TOTP and SMS, E-mail is believed to be safe and secure. The process includes-
• User logs in to an application with their user-id and password.
• A distinctive one-time code is then generated on the app server and is sent to the user’s email id in the form of digits or link.
• They retrieve the code from their email and feed it in their app and if found valid, the user is then authenticated and the session gets initiated.
4. Push Notifications
The steps for a multifactor application using push notification are mentioned below:
• A user logs into an application with a username and password.
• A push notification is sent to the user’s app on your mobile device which would be a login request.
• This step would have some basic information to be filled up by the user and the date of the request.
• Once the user accepts the request he/she automatically gets logged in.
So, are you ready to take your Mobile App Security to the next level? Contact our expert today, write to us at managers@infiCaretech.com. You can also connect with us on Skype (ID- infiCare5)